A digital marketing manager is a person, in a company, who is accountable for developing, implementing and managing digital marketing campaigns. These types of campaigns promote an organization as well as its products and/or services. The digital marketing manager plays a significant role in developing and maintaining brand awareness within the digital space. In addition to this, he or she is responsible for driving traffic to the company’s website and for attaining leads and customers.
A digital marketing manager is also responsible for identifying and evaluating new digital technologies. They will use Web analytics tools – such as Google Analytics – in order to measure site traffic. This is so that they can better optimize digital marketing campaigns, email marketing campaigns as well as social media, display and search advertising.
Specific roles of a digital marketing manager
A digital marketing manager will be responsible, for specifically, for the following:
- Planning and executing all digital marketing efforts, including search engine optimization/search engine marketing (SEO/SEM0, maintaining digital marketing, email, social media as well as display advertising campaigns
- Designing, building and maintaining the company’s social media presence
- Measuring and reporting on how all digital marketing campaigns performed, and assessing these against goals (ROI and KPIs)
- Identifying trends and insights as well as optimizing spend and performance based on the insights gained from these activities
- Brainstorming innovating and out-of-the-box growth strategies
- Planning, executing and measuring experiments as well as conversion tests
- Collaborating with internal teams in order to design landing pages and optimize the user experience
- Use strong analytical abilities to evaluate end-to-end customer experiences across multiple channels as well as customer touchpoints
- Instituting conversion points and optimize user funnels
- Collaborating with agencies and other vendor partners
- Evaluating emerging technologies as well as providing thought leadership and perspective for adoption where appropriate
Skills required of a digital marketing manager
Outstanding technical abilities are the most crucial asset for a digital marketing manager to have. This is because they are responsible for utilizing various electronic mediums. Relevant technical knowledge and experience can include:
- Google AdWords,
- Google Analytics,
- Kenshoo, and
- Exact Target.
Digital marketing managers strong written and verbal communication skills so that they can interact with advertising vendors, clients as well as other digital marketing colleagues. They should also have effective analytical abilities which will allow them to evaluate the industry and organizational trends as well as develop appropriate campaigns or advertisements.
What qualifications do you need to become a digital marketer?
Digital marketing is in an endless state of flux. This means that every year, innovations, technologies, as well as disruptive concepts, change the playing field. Thus, in order to make it as a digital marketer in the long-term, you have to grow with the times. However, there are basic digital marketing skills, capabilities, and qualifications that basically remain the same. Getting these will kick-start your success.
At the moment, digital marketing jobs are the most in-demand ones for today’s marketing departments. Advertising and content abilities rank as the most sought-after skills. While there is no set route to becoming a digital marketer, or landing your first job in the industry, most employers will want to see that you’ve rubber-stamped your skills by completing an industry-recognized digital marketing course.
You will earn the essential skills, knowledge base as well as the confidence you require to embark on a rewarding career in digital marketing. In addition, you’ll also get an operational understanding of the key philosophies or areas that constitute the vast majority of digital marketing jobs.
From there, you will rapidly get a feel for the area of digital marketing which you’d like to focus on. When you know what you’d like to specialize in you can enroll in a sector-specific digital marketing course such as:
- Social media marketing
- Content marketing
- Digital public relations
By pursuing a more advanced digital marketing course that focuses on a specific area of digital marketing, you increase the odds of you being employed while opening yourself up to more potential brands or businesses who are looking for skilled people to push their promotional efforts forward.