Use our digital strategy template based around the RACE Planning Framework to get ahead in your digital marketing
We all know the old saying “if you fail to plan, you are planning to fail”, but when it comes to digital marketing, this really is the case. It has never been more important than it is now to create a digital marketing strategy and plan your online activities.
Today, digital media is vital when it comes to driving leads and sales, meaning marketers need to understand how best to engage and convert online audiences. Despite this, our research shows that many businesses still don’t have a digital marketing plan.
As a result, companies are missing out on the benefits of having a digital marketing plan integrated into their overall marketing plan or as a separate roadmap for digital transformation. At a time when marketers are increasingly hungry for guidance, this isn’t a great position to be in.
This is why we have created a free, downloadable digital strategy template. Based on our RACE Planning Framework, the template is an updated version of our co-founder Dr Dave Chaffey’s book ‘Internet Marketing: Strategy, Planning and Implementation’ and is based on Dave’s extensive experience of creating and reviewing digital marketing plans for companies.
Get started digital marketing plan template
Our PDF digital marketing plan template will take you through all of the essential online marketing activities that you need to work on in order to deliver a cohesive and successful strategy.
The template will be beneficial if you’re involved with developing the direction that digital marketing is going for your business or for clients. This means it can be beneficial for:
- Company owners and directors
- Managers who are responsible for increasing how much digital channels contribute to their company
- Heads of marketing, such a Chief Marketing Officer, VP of Marketing, Chief Customer Officer and Marketing Director
- Consultants of agency account managers
It is structured around our RACE Planning Framework, allowing you to assess what key marketing activities you need to consider for each part of RACE. This will give your plan structure and ensure you ultimately refer all marketing planning back to RACE so you don’t miss any opportunities.
RACE Planning Framework
We’ve structured the template around the RACE Planning Framework in order to provide a planning system that covers all the important areas of digital marketing planning across the customer lifecycle.
The RACE Planning Framework and the template both reference a simplified version of PR Smith’s SOSTAC® Planning System. We use this because it’s a really great framework that is simple, memorable and logical, meaning it can benefit you in your everyday marketing planning.
The simplified version of SOSTAC® that we cover in the template is:
- Opportunity: Review the current contribution of digital channels to your business by refining dashboards and set future objectives that are based on an in-depth marketplace review.
- Strategy: Create an overall digital channel strategy or a specific strategy that is focused on customer acquisition (Reach), Conversion (Act and Convert) and customer retention and loyalty (long-terms engagement).
- Action: Details of specific tactics to implement the strategy such as planning and integrating content marketing, SEO, social media and email into marketing campaigns.
We use this simplified approach to SOSTAC® as we’ve found – through our collective experience in creating many different digital marketing plans – that it works best when you set objectives for digital marketing activities as part of the process of reviewing existing performance using analytics and sales reporting systems, as well as reviewing the KPIs you use for control. It can also be difficult to separate tactics and actions so this approach takes that into account.
Our digital marketing strategy and planning toolkit
The template is part of our actionable digital marketing strategy and planning toolkit, which provides you with a range of resources designed to help you improve your strategy and planning activities. Getting to grips with these aspects of marketing can help you produce campaigns that work and deliver results that are in-line with your KPIs.
The toolkit includes these practical, expert resources:
- Excel spreadsheet to identify improvements in your online marketing
- Word and PowerPoint templates that you can use to create your plan
- Example plans for B2B and B2C companies
- 7 steps to success guide to help you create an integrated digital marketing strategy
- An e-learning course taking you through all of the digital marketing techniques.
Why you need this template
Ultimately, the goal of this template is to enable you to create detailed and actionable digital marketing plans that are based on your KPIS and current performance. Having a plan that integrates different channels, tactics and actions is more likely to deliver success, but you need to document it first.
The template provides a structure to your planning and help you to quickly create an integrated digital marketing plan for your business or for your client. It’s no wonder that this is our most popular download!